Bidden day #2

time so far: 16 hours

Not much more than another mockup, but I like this one better than having the big sidebar not really doing much. The descriptive style of the header in this one is a bit of an experiment.

Spent a lot of the day working on saving and loading, choosing json instead of the tried and true YAML. Went for a walk in the afternoon and realized that was probably going overboard. Do I even need save games? Probably not, though I want them. In any case it’s worked out now, so I’ll go with it.

Tightened up the design, eliminating the mountain and slum map generation parameters. Also realized I should have a power limiter of some kind for boons, so put in limited uses. As you complete tasks you get more uses; at the same time the chance of more dangerous enemies and traps increases. I don’t want this to be a difficulty scale per se, though — there still should be low power enemies you can just blow away later in the game.

addenda: I couldn’t resist a couple of more hours post-post. For some reason I’ve decided to try a publisher/subscriber for the first time with this game. I got the game components to register handlers with an event broadcaster, and now keypresses send an event to the broadcaster, which propagates them to the appropriate handlers.

Advertisements

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: